Monday

Not the Only One

I think I've alluded to the fact that I'm a fan of a neat and tidy house. I've also made mention once, twice, or hundreds of times that I have three small children. That makes one mommy and three little ones. You do the math. The equation doesn't end in an always neat and orderly house.

I confess that the desire to have the "perfect" house can bring out the worst in me. I thought I was the only one, or at least one of the few. Yet, today, after a talking with some other mamas, I learned that I may actually be the norm. As we visited, we all admitted that we all struggle to maintain balance when it comes to our desires for a tidy house.

That brings me to these words forwarded to me by a dear friend. I hope they encourage you like they encouraged me.

So... it's Monday and my to-do list seems to be growing by the minute... laundry, ironing, cleaning closets, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, errands, paying bills, work in the office, etc, etc. feeling totally overwhelmed I decided it was time to be still and have my quiet time- not my normal thing- I normally push it off in order to keep checking things off on my to-do list. Long story short- God is so good...

This is what I read about in the book I am going thru (Tender Mercy~ for a Mother's Soul~ by Angela Thomas~ highly recommend it). It talks about fighting the urge to be a SuperMom and looking at creating a home where grace lives~ she says the following:

All the neighborhood kids want to hang out at the house where grace lives. There is more dirt to be swept, there are more snacks to be made, and the grass doesn't grow outside the back door or under the swing. But kids show up, hang out and get loved where grace lives.

The dust may be a little thicker on top of the TV, and the closets a bit cluttered, but hearts have been tended where grace lives.

Family management has become the tool insted of the goal. Schedules matter, but souls matter more.

There is always enough for one more where grace lives... one more for dinner... one more to sleep over... one more hug... one more kiss.The lights are on late where grace lives. Grace stays up to listen, hug in the dark, and wipe away tears of disappointment and pain.

You can see people dancing where grace lives, b/c moms hang up the phone, turn up the music, and dance over the victories of their children. Sometimes the children just watch from behind their cereal and 'catch' the grace of a silly mom.

You can hear things like 'Please forgive me, I was wrong... I'm disappointed, but I love you... You are my treasure... You are my blessing... Let me pray for you.'

The eyes of the children where grace lives shine w/ joy and anticipation. They have not been wounded by impossible expectations. They have not been distanced by rejection. They have been embraced and accepted and loved.

The moms at the house where grace lives are just regular, everyday moms, but God lives inside them. By His power, they are becoming holy and righteous and good. They stumble but recover quickly. They make mistakes but say 'I'm sorry.' They get blown by the winds of heartache and adversity, but their hearts remain tender towards God.

I don't know about you, but I think I just might need to read that book.

Happy Monday. May it be full of grace.

No comments: