Thursday

I Will Try

My Sweet Baby Jane,

Just moments ago, I put my finger in your mouth to look for teeth. I fully expected your mouth to be the same as it has everyday for the past seven months. You can imagine my surprise when I felt a tooth! That tooth is another sign that you are growing healthy and strong. I'm so grateful.

Yet, I must confess that my first instinct was not to celebrate another step in your journey. Rather, I the emotions I experienced were bittersweet. I had tears in my eyes.

You see, with the exception of a few sleepless nights, I've enjoyed each and every moment of this first year. Your first tooth served as a reminder to me that it will be over all too soon.

Then, I watched you crawl into the kitchen this evening as I loaded the dishwasher. My eyes grew misty.

Baby girl, please don't think for one minute that I'm not proud of you. I couldn't be more proud. And, to think that our family is experiencing this for the third time, well that only makes it more special.

Jane, I promise I will try to smile when you take your first step and say your first word. And when all those other firsts come along, I promise to do all I can to make sure you know just how proud I am of you. But, should I fail and tears come before my smile, please know that you are loved and your mama is so very proud.

I thank the Lord for the blessing that is your life.

I love you little one.

Mama

No comments: