Monday

The Power of Words

Words are kind of funny, aren't they? By simply uttering a few words, a person can easily make or break your day. Words like "I love you," spoken by the right person, can make you feel like nothing else.



I suppose it isn't surprising then, that I find written words to be so powerful. I have special notes, cards, and letters, that I've received, tucked away in different places. They always make me smile when I find them. Like a good book, they are worth rereading. In fact, I frequently tuck these notes into different books, even my Bible. Of course, some notes are simply saved in my email inbox. Below is one such note.



Not long ago, I was at a store with my son and my younger brother. A lady commented on my parenting choice. It was something that really hurt me. You can read about that experience here.

I'd like to share what my sweet brother wrote after reading my post about that experience. I certainly hope he isn't embarrassed by my sharing his words, but some things are too good to keep to yourself. I truly can't help but smile each time I read this. And, I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up the first time I read his words.



Lizz,


I just read your post about the lady at Target. I think you did exactly what you should have. It was what, 9am on Saturday, there weren't many people in the store and you had to show him that you wouldn't cave in to that behavior. I think it is pretty ironic that you would post something about that because it really bothered me that the lady made a comment like that. It was pretty hard for me not say some pretty mean and inappropriate things to that lady (honestly the only thing that held me back was the fact that Chris was there). I actually told a few people at work about that incident and how mad I was that that lady could make such a rude and condescending comment (they are on our side with how you handled it by the way). The whole point is that I was thinking about why that comment upset me so much and I realized that it is because I have seen first hand what a great mother you are and to have some stranger question that without knowing you was infuriating. I was hoping I would run into her when I went back to get the coffee creamer by the way. Anyways, I obviously know nothing about parenting but if I ever have kids I can only hope that I can be half the parent Tony or yourself is. I was exhausted from a long weekend of being a small part of it and you do it everyday. You do a great job and you should never question that. I had no idea that comment offended you so much but I wanted you to know that it made me angrier than I have been a while...Thanks again for having me out.

G


Words like that are powerful. I hope I remember that the next time I open this mouth of mine.

No comments: