Monday

Loving Our Little Man

The closer something is to my heart, the harder it seems to be for me to put that something into words. (It's even hard for me to come up with a clever way to begin that something!) What could be closer to a momma's heart than her son?

My middle child, my only son, turned four today. I woke up before five this morning. I tossed and turned as I thought back to that morning four years ago when our little man finally made his debut into the world.

All day I've composed letters to him in my head about how special he is and how much his daddy and I love him. However, we've been so busy celebrating his little life that I've yet to sit down and actually um, write the letter.

Now that I have the time, I don't have the energy!

We started celebrating Chris's birthday on Wednesday night. We gave him gifts from us as well as those from his grandma and aunt who'd sent them early. We ate his requested dinner of macaroni and cheese, pickles, and mustard. (Well, he ate that. Some of us modified the meal. And by modify I mean ate something entirely different, but whatever.)
Saturday morning, the five of us boarded a plane and headed to Colorado where we're enjoying a wonderful visit with my mom and stepdad. Our visit has included hiking, parks, cake and presents galore, and of course, a birthday party.

Without a doubt, the highlight of this trip, for me, has been seeing the look on my little man's face while everyone focused on him and sang "Happy Birthday." He was so excited. I suppose being the middle child, and a rather rambunctious boy at that, means he tends to get more negative than positive attention. Poor guy. (We need to work on that!) He has certainly enjoyed every minute of this long weekend.

Four years ago today my life forever changed as I became the mother of a son. Words can't explain what that means, but I sure hope the hugs, kisses, and conversations (as well as the discipline) help him know that his momma (and daddy) love him deeply!
Happy Birthday, Little Man! We love you!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Little Man! So glad your day was good!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday little guy.

I used the "Yes & so is my heart" line at the grocery store last week when coming out surrounded by my 4 loves, someone said..."boy, youv'e got your hands full!" I thought of you :)

PS MY birthday dinner was either Mac-n-cheese & fish sticks or tuna casserole...sad really.
This year, we ordered Chinese food