Wednesday

Sshhh, Don't Tell My Husband

But sometimes my job really rocks. Sure, there is the whole rarely getting a moment to myself thing, but that is easy to overlook when I have days like today.

Today was really busy, but also really nice. It started off with walking Ann to school along with the neighbor kids who always walk with us. Then, we came home while Chris and Jane watched a show while I ran on the treadmill.

Next, it was off to swim lessons and then a treat of lunch out. After lunch, I dropped Chris off at preschool and Jane and I headed home for just enough time for me to switch a load of laundry and fill water bottles. Then, we headed up the street to pick up my sweet neighbor friend and her cute daughter. We then spent the next hour and a half at a children's farmstead. Such fun!

After enjoying the animals, we headed home for another few minutes before getting back in the van to pick up Chris, Ann, and a neighbor boy from school. Another short time at home and then we took Ann to a dance class, dropped off books at the library, and picked up a pizza.

Finally, we were home for more than a few minutes and Chris and his friend from next door played outside while Jane kept me company as I tried to clean up the kitchen.

After saying goodbye to the boy who lives next door, we left to pick up Ann and then went back home to bake pizza. The kids played outside while I cooked the pizza. That went well until Chris blasted our sweet neighbor girl in the face with a water gun. Fortunately, dinner was ready.

We ate dinner and then took my time reading to and getting the kids ready for bed.

Ann shed some more tears about missing our old dog, Buck. I hated seeing her be sad, but I was glad that I was there to hug her and pray with her.

Finally, at about 8:30, the kids were asleep and Tony was still at work. I was tired and the house wasn't exactly neat, though I decided it was good enough. And that's when I sat down and found myself smiling.

As I've sat here and documented my day, I realize that besides being busy, it wasn't really all that spectacular. It was just one of our busy days, and yet it was very, very good. It was one of those days that I stepped backed and realized that I really do have an awesome job.

If only I can keep this perspective when I wake up tomorrow morning to a kiddo inches from my face whining about how s/he is hungry! And if only I can keep the same perspective when I make the breakfast that my children begged for only to see them eat a few bites before claiming they are way too full to eat another bite. I better get the coffee pot ready!

No comments: