Wednesday

It's Finally Here


As Ann walked into my room this morning, the first thing she said was, "Can you believe my first day of school is here?"


Of course, if you're a mama, you know that my immediate thought was, "No, I can't, not at all! Where did the past five years go?"


I just smiled and said, "No, I can't." Then, I sat on the edge of my bed and asked if I could hold her for a minute. She indulged me and I scooped her up. (No easy task these days. She is big!)


After a minute or two she scampered off to make her bed.


Eventually, we all headed downstairs where Tony made some peanut butter and jelly toast. I dished out some yogurt and topped it with sprinkles. All my kiddos thought that was a fantastic kick off to the school year. I figured we can only do ice cream so many mornings a year!


I did surprise Ann with our special red plate that so far has been reserved only for birthdays. I had a note on top that said, "Happy First Day of School! We love you!" I could tell she felt loved.


During breakfast I read them a picture book and a Bible story. I really hoped that would calm everyone down, but it didn't help much. They were just too excited. I finally relented and let them watch part of show after everyone was dressed and had their teeth brushed.


All five of us walked Ann to school. Ann is so blessed to have a daddy that will go to work late to be there for her special morning! (Thanks, Tony!)


Ann walked right in the front door and headed straight to her classroom. I thought it would take her a while to learn how to get there since she'd only been there once, but nope, she just walked right in and knew just where to go.


She deposited her stuff in her little locker. (Too cute!) We got pictures and then I went to hug her. She was preoccupied with her desk work, so I had to ask her to hug me. She did and when she did, I had to let go quickly because I was tearing up. So, I stood up and took a deep breath before heading out the door with the rest of my family.


It was a beautiful morning and on the walk home I didn't feel the slightest bit sad. My sweet girl is ready for this next adventure and so am I. (I think.)

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Too sweet!

allie :^) said...

so jealous. you look like you're about 19 in that pic!!! ;) TWO CUTE. :)