Tuesday

It's Not My Thing

Recently, another mom surprised me by saying something other than the usual, "you have your hands full."

Instead, she commented about how having several small children was "obviously my thing."

Really? I don't think so. It really isn't at all.

I mean I do love this job and wouldn't trade it, but most of the details involved just aren't my thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Five years ago, if you'd told my newly-pregnant self that I would soon have three small children, I wouldn't have believed you. If you had gone on to say that I would learn how to ignore temper tantrums while nursing a baby and reading to a preschooler, I would have looked at you like you were crazy. I would have even doubted that doing all of those things at once was humanly possible.

Then again, before I had a baby I doubted that living on a mere few hours of sleep was possible not only for a day, but for weeks.

You see, much of motherhood isn't my thing. It really isn't my thing to change dirty diapers, wipe snotty noses, and answer hundreds of questions each day. Those things are tedious and take huge amounts of patience.

The snuggling, trips to the park, and reading of stories are all great fun. However, those things don't make up the majority of my day.

By God's grace, I'm learning to make all of motherhood my thing. I'm a work in progress.

No, it isn't my thing It's His thing. I'm just honored to be a part of it.

No comments: